Request an Appointment Call us toll-free +1.800.796.0482

Quick Links

HSS Policy

Request an Appointment
Call us toll-free +1.800.796.0482

Robert Stier

Garden City, NY

My name is Robert Stier, I am 63 years old and live a very active lifestyle. I am an avid skier and cyclist. My history with Hospital for Special Surgery goes back 20 years in time. I felt that after this year that I had a story to share with others. Back in 2000, I was diagnosed with arthritis in my right hip. I was referred to Dr. Paul Pellicci and after his initial examination, he informed me that I needed a replacement and I would know when it was time to have it done. I suffered from pain and lack of mobility for 2 years until I got the courage to have the surgery.The results were incredible and after only a couple of weeks, I was walking 5 miles everyday. Dr. Pellicci surely gave me my life back. I resumed skiing, cycling and my workouts as often as I wanted with no pain and felt great. Then part 2 of my story began in February of 2017. While skiing in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, I had an unfortunate fall and broke my femur. I returned to HSS and was seen by Dr. David Helfet from the Trauma Dept. I was told that my implant had become loose due to osteolysis. I again began seeing Dr. Pellicci who monitored my condition along with Dr. Helfet. As my broken leg improved, my hip condition was getting worse. A condition of one leg being shorter than the other developed due to the failing implant. I spoke to Dr. Pellicci about it and was very pleased that I had gotten 15 great years out of my implant but time had come for a revision. I was told that it was going to be a very complex revision due to my femur's condition. He told me that he wanted his partner Dr. Seth Jerabek to perform my surgery. I was very surprised but he convinced me that Dr. Jerabek was the surgeon most qualified for this procedure. I met Dr. Jerabek the following week and was very impressed. He explained all of the things that needed to be done during the surgery including making my legs the same length again. He took as much time as I needed to fully understand everything. I had the operation a couple of weeks later and it all went extremely well. I was up walking the next day with the physical therapists and began rehabilitation exercises immediately. I am now 10 weeks out and returning to my normal lifestyle and getting stronger everyday. I find it very difficult to put into words how great and thankful I feel towards Dr. Jerabek and all the wonderful people at HSS that helped me for the second time to get my life back. I will be forever grateful to Dr. Jerabek and Dr. Pellicci for taking such wonderful care of me.

It is a pleasure to share my story

Robert Stier